• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPT Need help for best cost efficient decision for CPC

RN2Coder

Hello CCO forum members! I have a unique sort of situation that I am hoping that I can get some ideas from you all so I can make a good but quick decision.

I am a RN and want to learn coding for MD offices. I took the CPT class through AAPC and completed it. Took the CPC test 2x ( I had to complete my exam vouchers before 8/31) and failed. It was a blow because I honestly thought I did better the second time. Which I did, but obviously not enough (-2 pts). I studied hard but I know the time crunch worked against me.

So... I have the ICD-10 proficiency exam as a part of my AAPC package which I must complete as you all know by Dec 31. I want to to do well on that BUT I won't be certified and the ICD 10 certification is not until Jan 2016. And from what I understand you are already at a disadvantage job wise being a CPC-A but even more so if you are not certified... O_0.

I am not sure because of the change over in October if a third try for ICD-9 is even worth it??

My biggest concern is I don't have a lot of $$ to invest in additional training at this point; so my goal is to find what will be the MOST cost effective and best type of training combined. Here are the options I am considering:
  1. Take Alicia's webinar on ICD 10 proficiency + study through AACP the 16 hour ICD 10 proficiency course (part of my package) + Save up for 2016 CPC cert exam + Pray for the best.
  2. Take A&P/Term for ICD 10 through AAPC + Study 16 hour course + Pray I pass the Proficiency exam + Save up for 2016 CPC cert exam +Pray for the best.
  3. Do # 1 AND #2 (of course that is like $400 though), Save up for ICD 10 certification exam next year + Pray for the best.
  4. Do the CPC / ICD-9 Blitz + ICD 10- Proficiency (But have no ICD 10 proficiency prep) + Pray for the best. )-- But this option I'm on the fence about because ICD changes to 10 in October AND The don't want to confuse 9 and 10 since I still have to study for 10. Plus I would have to rely on JUST the 16 hour prep to get me through.

So those are the choices. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    BTW -- Even the CPC snippet videos by Laureen on Youtube I felt helped me in locating my codes "after the semicolon" a lot faster. Thanks Laureen.

Last edited:

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Wow I love how you've really laid out all of your options!

Since there is no time pressure for your next CPC take and the ICD-10 proficiency assessment is paid for I'd recommend getting your proficiency first - you don't have to be certified to do that. The free 90 min webinar of Alicia's may be enough - try it and take the proficiency - no cost involved and you get two tries. If you don't pass and take the CPC exam after Jan 1, 2016 it will be a mute point anyway.

Then I'd get the CPC Blitz. You get a year subscription which will give you current ICD-9 segment and eventual ICD-10 segment around January. You get weekly support calls and helpdesk support to guide you toward CPC certification. Investment for a year of that is $197 and if you need more time you can continue for $12.95 per month.

Ronnee

I too need to know which course is best to take. I am have my CPC but need to take the test and training for the ICD-10. Please advise. I would like to know the difference for the Blitz course and the full course as far for a person like myself that is just now getting into my Coding. I am receiving several calls for job opportunities for remote as well in office coding. Please advise.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Ronnee,

For the ICD-10 the Blitz is a 20 hour equivalent review course - i.e.. no homework although there is a recommended text book. The Full course is an 80 hour equivalent course and has homework so there is lots of practice.

If you know ICD-9 coding then the ICD-10 Blitz is likely all you need to pass the proficiency assessment.

Ronnee

Laureen,

I just do not know....will there be support for me if I start to have trouble with ICD-10 blitz? I do know ICD-9 but just feeling nervous I guess. I want to be able to get ICD-10 and do it but i'm wondering if I will need practice....I don't know. I am so ready to start coding...

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
If you want lots of practice and to feel very confident in your ICD-10-CM coding skills go for the full course - which also includes the Blitz.

If you want to just pass the proficiency and be at a moderate confidence level and learn more on the job then go for the ICD-10 Blitz only.

Feel free to schedule a call with me to discuss as well https://www.timetrade.com/book/TKD1M or go to http://helpdesk.cco.us and see if I'm on chat.

RN2Coder

Wow I love how you've really laid out all of your options!

Since there is no time pressure for your next CPC take and the ICD-10 proficiency assessment is paid for I'd recommend getting your proficiency first - you don't have to be certified to do that. The free 90 min webinar of Alicia's may be enough - try it and take the proficiency - no cost involved and you get two tries. If you don't pass and take the CPC exam after Jan 1, 2016 it will be a mute point anyway.

Then I'd get the CPC Blitz. You get a year subscription which will give you current ICD-9 segment and eventual ICD-10 segment around January. You get weekly support calls and helpdesk support to guide you toward CPC certification. Investment for a year of that is $197 and if you need more time you can continue for $12.95 per month.

Hi Laureen, Thank you for the input! For some reason when I first read your response I missed where you mentioned Alicia's 'free' webinar, which I will check out tonight. In my original post I was speaking of her webinar on Sept. 16 --> http://codingleader.com/products/icd-10-proficiency-exam

Do you feel I will be able to glean enough from the free webinar? (I don't know if any similar topics will be covered since one is free.) If so, that would be very helpful $ wise.

Last edited:

RN2Coder

@ Laureen -- A thought on the tests... since I have read that ICD-10 is more A/P heavy do you need extra review for that BEFORE taking the proficiency exam? Also, will the ICD-10 segments that you present in Jan 2016 cover A&P? Thanks

RN2Coder

Sorry -- I wish I could edit to add to my previous reply question - Laureen, I assume the CPC Blitz for $197 goes away 12/31/15?

Also am I correct in my understanding that you will begin next year to do a new CPC blitz which will then include ICD-10 which I would have access to within the year of purchase?
Thanks

RN2Coder

*Bump* Just checking in to see if I could please get answer to the above questions...I know Laureen is probably pretty busy so if another forum member has some input, I appreciate it! and thanks!!